Lead Poisoning

We have known for a long time that lead is hazardous to our health. We now know that even small amounts can be dangerous. Infants and children are especially vulnerable to lead because they absorb it more easily than adults.

Signs and symptoms of lead poisoning are often similar to other childhood complaints. Symptoms include headaches, irritability, tiredness. Therefore, a physician may not suspect lead poisoning. Examine your child’s environment for potential sources of lead.

In Canada, the Hazardous Products Act limits the amount of lead that can be used in paint. Children living in older homes where lead-based paints have been used are at risk for lead poisoning.

Be cautious of allowing children to play with older hand-me-down wooden toys. Lead-based paints may have been used to decorate them.

Another warning has recently been made regarding possible lead poisoning from certain ceramic glazes. To protect yourself from unnecessary exposure (as reported in The Calgary Herald, June 29, 1996):

.Possible sources of lead exposure. Information provided by U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry

This information was taken from the book “I Won’t be in to Work Today - Preventing Injuries at Home, Work, and Play” by Martin Lesperance. To order this book or find out more information, go to www.safete.com and click on books and products. Sign up for his free safety newsletter at www.safete.com. Martin delivers speeches across North America on the topic of injury prevention.

Copyright 1997 Safety Health Publishing Inc.

Martin Lesperance is a fire fighter/paramedic and is the author of the best selling book "I Won’t be in to Work Today – Preventing Injuries at Home, Work and Play" Martin delivers keynote presentations dealing with injury prevention. His talks are funny, but still have a strong underlying message. Visit his website at www.safete.com